Wednesday, October 1, 2008

october

So I'm not as good a bike mechanic as I think I am. It might not be as much me as it is that I don't have a truing machine. I'm not even sure if I spelled that right, but I now know that to replace and tighten spokes, I should have one.

Since the last time I wrote to any people that actually log onto the world wide web to read this blog, I "fixed" my bike well enough to ride it to Green River, UT, a "town" about 50 miles outside of Wellington.

I'm assuming that you all realize that my liberal use of quotations means that any word in donned in that sort of punctuation means the complete opposite of the dictionary definition of that word. For example, "fixed" means that, while I might be able to replace a spoke or two, there's no way that I can, or will, ever be able to fix the wobbling of the wheel or extra broken spokes that comes with hap-hazardly tightening and loosening parts of the wheel at random.

Also, in this case "town" means a gas staion and Arby's. I wouldn't normally care, but I was expecting that any "town" that made the map so prominently, would have a bike shop. Green River did not and that led to more hitchiking.

This time, I staked out a truck stop/gas station for a few minutes looking for a pickup truck with an empty bed so I could hitch a ride and still fit Stan, the bike and trailer in the back.

A few minutes in, I found Steve who had a diesel truck but wasn't running bio, bringing my lucky streak of being completely gasoline free to an end. Steve claims that, because regular diesel is the bi-product of gasoline, I'm not breaking my own rule, but I whole heartedly disagree because that if you ran the whole world on diesel, you'd still have to refine the same amount of petroeum.

Now, Stan and I lay in a tent for the first time in ages (since Ione) and find little cell coverage. But, hopefully there's enough to post this as I have enjoed the writing of it.

Also, I checked out the date today and I can't believe that it's already October. That means that back at home in New Haven, Sally's Pizza is back from their vacation, Yale football tailgate parties are rocking and the leaves are changing into vibrant shades of yellow, orange and red.

Hopefully, Colorado will fill those voids. I'm sure it will do it's best!

2 comments:

katib said...

Hey Todd,

Happy New Year! The leaves have not quite turned here yet but will soon I think. Jen & John are planning an awesome Halloween party. Wish you were here. KatiB

Unknown said...

Miss you lots! The 'Ville isn't the same without you... The Spodicks