Monday, September 1, 2008

white lines

Blogger's note: This post was supposed to be here on friday, but got lost somehere on the internet for a few days. I hear that happens sometimes...
I can ride with my front tire on the white line marking the side of the road for 15 seconds. My best time was coming off a downhill with minimal peddling and a very slight tail wind. I think it's a pretty good time since I've got 30 lbs of gear and I'm pulling a trailer with an 80 lb dog. On a side note, what is an lb? And why the hell does it mean pound? Today I learned that headwinds suck for bikers and I am not aerodynmaic at all. I rode against the wind (yes I sang the Steve Winwood song, which coincidently played during the running scene in Forrest Gump, in my head) for about 5 miles. During this time, I rode by countless farms and ranches that seem to have enough extra space on their land for tons of windmills. It would seem that someone with a few hundred acres wouldn't really notice said windmills and might be able to cash in a bit by selling their wind power back to the utilities. Hopefully I'll meet a rancher or farmer tomorrow and ask them if its viable. While we're on that topic... RVs should be harnessing the wind that they get by driving. You would think that would be really easy and then they could then power their big screen TVs and stuff that way. There's something for my bike that I'd like to get that harnesses wind energy and you can charge your cell phone and ipod with it. I need to get myself one of those. Something that I am impressed with in CA, is that a lot of the road signs that need power have solar panels. By the way, the reason that I haven't put any pictures up on this blog in a while is because it doesn't offer that feature on the mobile version of blogspot. That's right there's finally something that my awesome phone can't do. You can check out some pitures of Stan and I (they're actually mostly of him because he doesn't like to hold the camera) on Facebook if you're a member, or you can just become a member. That's the only place that I can upload the pictures to from the phone. If you're not a member, you can join for free. Tonight I'm on Morro Strand Beach, camping on the sand with the only sounds being waves of the Pacific. There are 235 miles to San Francisco on the 1. For the next part of our adventure, I will be looking for a ride to Tahoe in an alternative energy vehicle. I'm talking golf cart, hydrogen fuel cells or anything else not involving gasoline. I'll post an ad on craigslist in the bay area, but if any of you blog readers know anyone that might be able to help out, please have them contact me. Thanks to everyone that commented today on their efforts to lessen their impact on the environment. Its really not that hard, you just have to care a little bit!