Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Titles are hard to think of

It's official... Bikers nod, they don't wave. The boater in me waved at one today and he just nodded back as if to say "back off new guy, play by the rules." He could probably tell that I'm new at this bike touring thing by my ski helmet, hiking shoes and the fact that I was going 2mph on the wrong side of the road.
Mom, I swear that last part was added for effect. I am obeying all traffic laws at all times!
Next time I'm in a boat, I'm going to nod and see if they're as riteous about their rituals. Jaim, maybe your parents will let you take out the tender as part of this sociological experiment. For those of you that don't know jaimee, she's the only person in the world that still gets charged per text message so this is actually the best way to get a message to her.
Anyways, I am now in Oceana/Pismo Beach State Park and it's absolutely gorgeous. I rode over 50 miles to get here so I could wake up in paradise and hang around for a bit. Stan did about 10 miles on the ground, but I realized that I make much better time with him in the trailer. The little road side radar thing says we go 10mph on flat ground with him back there. It was a really beautiful ride... mostly farms framed by mountains. I took a long stop in Guadalupe to avoid rush hour at the suggestion of a retired eye sugeon named that I met at lunch. Rush hour around Guadalupe is much different than CT. In CT, there are so many people on the road, that traffic sits at a stand still for hours. In Guadalupe, rush hour is a bunch of farm workers so happy to be off work that they rush home. I didn't see anyone on the road for an hour and all of a sudden, there's people whizzing by hooting and hollering. They all seemed to be having a great time.
One last thing... aside from Jaimee and Kate Bradley no one has mentioned on this website any small changes/sacrifices that they might make in their daily lives. I find that a bit disheartening and hope to see that blogs comment section pick up a bit in the coming days.
Two more things. One, I now have 181 people in my facebook group and I'm pretty psyched about that. Two, this phone is even cooler than I thought because I was able to find that highest point on the way to Lompoc and it was 900 feet!

9 comments:

mendillo said...

Hey Todd, Thanks for all the shout-outs! For the record, I WILL be getting texting when I get my new phone, when I move into my house...SOON!

You HAVE to go to San Luis Obispo tomorrow (Thursday) and hit the Farmer's Market - SLO basically shuts down the main drag from 6-9pm and it's a grand old time! Was there 8 years ago on my way south from SF; then slept on the beach in Pismo before heading to LA!

Take a picture of the ocean, for me, would ya? :-)

Unknown said...

So as not to contribute to your feelings of disheartenment you described in Wednesday's blog, I'm leaving this comment about what small steps I've taken to reduce our negative affect on the environment:

1) I bought 10 trillion green reusable shopping bags and keep some in the truck and some in the house. Still have trouble remembering to carry them into the store (the reason why I have 10 trillion)... but I'm working on it. Though they are only $1, it seems counterproductive to buy more bags. So now if I forget, I request paper bags, not plastic, and reuse the paper bags for my recyclable cans and bottles.

2) I attended an Earth Day event this summer and purchased a small composter, which we've been using regularly, and in fact just stirred. It's pretty hot in there... it feels like a little heater. If we have trouble heating the house this winter we can probably stand around the composter to warm up. ;-)

3) We expanded our garden this summer and are not using any pesticides AT ALL in our garden or our yard. We have bugs and crabgrass, but who cares?

4) Any plastic bags that I do obtain for any reason, I reuse for my trash.

5) I try to remember to cut up any ziploc bags (Which I think twice about b4 using) so that any animals won't get caught up in them... the same for 6 pack holders. Which by the way... why are they still being manufactured? I see no reason for them.

6) We use our wood stove as our main source of heat, which reduces our consumption of oil considerably, while saving us money. We're also replacing old windows which helps conserve energy as well.

7) Buying local helps immensely, and is healthier as well. I've been shopping regularly at the local farmers markets for fruits and veggies. Last week I even purchased clams (couts) at the Wooster Square market. They were harvested locally in Norwalk that morning. Ben Gardner and the vendors at his market rock! Wooster Square market on Saturdays in New Haven. There are markets everywhere now, so there is no excuse not to support them. And they have great musicians booked there as well! (Ahem). Hamden (Spring Glen) on Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday afternoon is Ultra Radio's Blues Berries and Jam on the green in New Haven. Hartford has Monday and Thursday markets, West Hartford has Monday markets, FTC has Sunday markets through December. For more info go to localharvest.com to find more in your areas. They are all over the country now.

8) We also try to buy organic here and there - it's a bit pricey but we do what we can.

Feeling better, Todd? :-)

Goat said...

Ok todd,
I don't want you to be disheartened so here is something I will try to do. I typically bring two hard boiled eggs to work each day in a plastic bag. Instead of using a different one each day, I am going to carry it back and forth to work and use the same one. Is this acceptable? Glad to hear you and stanley are doing well.

Unknown said...

I carry my cute Whole Foods canvas tote bag in my purse all week so if I stop at the store on my way home from work, I don't waste the plastic. Sometimes I recycle the plastic bags too - they make great pooper scoopers for Polo!
Keep waving @ those bikers - I bet you'll break them down & get one to wave @ you!

Unknown said...

Nice website! The blogs are definitely entertaining. Ok, here are the new things that I am doing to be a greener being:

1. I am planning on implementing a recycling program at my high school with the help of my senior advisory class. It is something that is way overdue. At the moment, there is no recycling program in place – not even for the reams and reams of paper that is generated on a daily basis. Sadly, city administrators care more about test scores than saving the future. Hopefully, this will change.

2. I purchased reusable cloth shopping bags for myself and for distribution to my students who pledge to make our school an eco-friendly community.

3. I am currently switching all paper bills to e-statements. Fyi… HSBC will actually plant a tree in your name if you go paperless.

We (my class and I) will keep you posted on our progress. You can even be a future guest speaker if you like.

*And remember to apply strong sunscreen – especially to Stan’s little black nose. Happy trails!

jeremy peters said...

hey

jeremy peters said...

She's not as cool as we thought she was.

jeremy peters said...

Disregard those last two comments. I did not know if my "posts" were registering. Todd, enjoy Tahoe. It is paradise. The 2 for 1's are going on now. My favorite time to bring a lovely lady out to dinner. Not sure if Stanley will work.

jeremy peters said...

Nothing like North Tahoe, Ryo, Jager, and Football huh Todd. Minus the pregnant woman and the your weirdo companion. Happy trails as you head East.