Friday, August 22, 2008

What would you do to help the environment?

I hate reading articles that paint a gloomy picture of what the world will be like in 40 years all because humans have unknowingly worn it down. But, it makes me happy to read articles saying that the people that are alive today may be able to stop the bleeding and even repair our environment by making small sacrifices. I have taken lots of little steps throughout my life in order to reduce my impact on the environment and, in attempting a cross country trip san gasoline, am making a larger gesture in hopes of inspiring others to make similar small changes in their lives.
I am also challenging anyone that reads this to implement one additional "green" practice to their daily routine for the next 30 days. Even if you already utilize one of the methods on my site, try adding a new one for a bit and see what happens.
So how far would you go to reduce your impact on the environment? Would you bike or walk to anywhere that's within two miles of your home or office? Would you stop drinking bottled water? Would you change the light bulbs in your home and office to energy saving bulbs? Please comment below and let me know what changes you've decided to make. Also, leave comments with other small changes that people can make to help out.
Go to the "Do Your Part" section of ToddandStanley.com for ideas.

4 comments:

mendillo said...

Hey Todd,
Glad to have some updates on your adventure!

So I am pledging to stop my dependence on plastic water bottles and plastic garbage bags. Last summer when I was in Ghana I realized two things about plastic bags: 1) They aren't "free" and 2) They create a disgusting mess of trash because they are so carelessly discarded. And I was enlightened by a co-worker this summer about the ridiculousness of shipping plastic bottles full of filtered water (water that is of lesser or no-better quality than the tap water in most municipalities in the USA) back and forth across the country.

As I get ready to move into my house, I am also pledging to compost. I got a huge compost bin from a kind soul in Hamden through FREECYCLE.COM and so now I just have to set it up!

And finally, part of my curriculum for my new 5th grade class (just found out I'll be back at East Rock!) will include lessons and activities to increase awareness of human impact upon the environment and responsibility for properly caring for our home.

Cheers, Jaimee

katib said...

Hi Todd,

I stopped using plastic bottled water about 3 months ago and don't miss it. Don't know what the charm was in the first place. Spent a lot of money on plastic though. Anyway, stay safe. Hope to see you back here in Westville by next ArtWalk. We all miss you! Bye, ktb

Anonymous said...

I also stopped using plastic water bottles a few months ago, with the exception of when my stainless steel bottle would probably have been confiscated from me at concerts. I use 100% recycled (35% Post-consumer.. it's a start)paper for all of my printing needs.

I also pledge to walk or take public transportation as much as possible.

lauren said...

started bringing my own bags to the grocery store. also try to eat locally grown produce. no water bottles. also moved to a farm.. re: eating veggies from my own garden! and don't use the dryer (yes i actually hang stuff by clothespins) you'd never know i lived in nyc less than 6 months ago!

ps. haven't gotten the chance to tell you how awesome you are! so proud of your (and stanley's) adventure!!

xoxo lauren